Website Comox Valley Regional District
CUPE Local 556
$39.50 per hour
August 4, 2022 – 3:00pm
We are seeking a part-time term (minimum 30 hours per week, additional hours may be required) Communications and Engagement Specialist to join our Communications and Engagement Team as communications lead for the Comox Valley Sewer Conveyance Project. This is a two year term role, ending in November, 2024. The Comox Valley Sewer Conveyance Project is an $82 million multi-year construction project that will replace the pipes and upgrade the pump stations that move more than 14,000 cubic metres of raw sewage each day to the sewage treatment plant on Curtis Road. This new system will address an urgent environmental risk by routing sewer pipes further inland where they will no longer be vulnerable to damage by waves, rocks and logs. Construction will begin in spring 2023 and will be completed in late 2024.
Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Engagement, this position leads engagement with the residents of the Comox Valley and other stakeholders regarding the construction impacts of the Comox Valley Sewer Conveyance Project using a variety of communication channels. Traffic impacts to Comox Valley residents will be significant given the route extends from Comox (Dyke) Road, through K’ómoks First Nation and the Town of Comox and ends at the sewer treatment plant on Brent Road. This position is a key member of a multi-department project team and will play a critical role in keeping the community informed about construction impacts, including scheduled traffic disruptions so that homeowners, business owners and commuters are aware of the nature and timing of these disruptions and can plan accordingly. The primary responsibilities of the role are to:
- Collaborate with stakeholders impacts and ensure open dialogue across jurisdictions.
- Identify develops and executes multi-channel communications and engagement plans.
- Ensure corporate branding and messaging is clear and consistent, and initiatives align with core services, strategic plan drivers and strategic priorities to support and preserve a centralized presence and voice for the organization.
- Serve as a liaison for media requests, coordinates media responses and is spokespeople as appropriate; as well as develops issues briefings, key messages, news releases and reports for senior staff and directors.
- Oversee content on the Comox Valley Regional District websites. Monitors and updates information; monitors analytics and proposes improvements where weaknesses are identified Develop a wide variety of communications materials including news releases, videos, backgrounders, reports, newsletters, brochures, displays and signage.
- Liaise with related stakeholders and contractors to provide effective and timely coordination of information to the public.
- Ensure quality control for the project, including compliance to graphic standards, in the delivery and presentation of marketing initiatives, promotional materials, web and print content.
- Provide expertise, direction and guidance to staff within the project team and supports the Manager with communications requirements for other engineering projects as needed.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Self-directed, motivated and creative with a strong work ethic in achieving personal and organizational goals.
- Adept at disseminating information with accuracy, consistency, and thoroughness.
- A strong communicator with exceptional writing, facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Able to effectively manage multiple demands and meet tight deadlines.
- Able to adapt to change, identify and develop the best tools and best timing for providing effective information to various stakeholders.
- Skilled in public engagement and communications, with over four years’ developing and implementing communications programs and engagement initiatives for a diverse organization, preferably in local government.
- Educated with a high school diploma and an additional program in communications, engagement, or another relevant discipline of over two years and up to three years.
- Applications for available positions with the Comox Valley Regional District must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time and shall include a resume and cover letter. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.
The CVRD respectfully acknowledges the land on which it operates is on the unceded traditional territory of the K’ómoks First Nation, the traditional keepers of this land.
For more information and to apply visit: https://www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/about/careers/current-opportunities/communications-and-engagement-specialist-2022-07-20-000000
To apply for this job please visit www.comoxvalleyrd.ca.