Get connected to qualified applicants or relevant job postings, find training or events that interest you, or promote an event or service. Visit often to see what’s new. All postings are reviewed and monitored.
Communications Specialist – Community Relations
Full Time, Temporary
The Communications Specialist is responsible for performing a variety of communications and community engagement activities as part of BC Housing’s Corporate Communications team, with primary emphasis on supporting communications and public engagement strategies, initiatives and projects relating to Community Relations.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Completion of a college diploma in communications or other relevant discipline.
- Three years well rounded experience in communications, with some experience in the public sector
- Experience in coordinating logistics for community relations events and activities
- Experience in planning, coordinating, organizing and overseeing the production of communications collateral with multiple partners and stakeholders
- Or an equivalent combination education, training and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of communications, particularly within a public sector environment
- Working knowledge of communications planning and program/project implementation
- Working knowledge of community engagement best practices• Some knowledge of the processes relating to social housing development
- Knowledge and skill in working with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Acrobat and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability as a strong writer and editor and strong oral communication skills
- Ability to respond effectively to challenging email enquiries from angry members of the public
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve and mediate difficult situations
- Ability to work with a variety of agencies and contractors
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and as a team player
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines and pressures, with scrupulous attention to details
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities at any given time.
- A high degree of judgement, discretion and decision-making ability
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as required
- Valid BC Driver’s License, and must meet requirements to qualify for rental car insurance
- Extensive travel required
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver’s license.
HOW TO APPLY
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Municipality of North Cowichan
Manager, Communications and Public Engagement
Full Time, Temporary
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
The Municipality of North Cowichan is seeking a full-time Manager, Communications and Public Engagement to join our team on a temporary basis for up to 18-months (maternity leave), beginning in early October 2019.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who can be a key player on the senior leadership team, a critical resource for Council and a central resource for all departments. This position manages and is supported by a Communications and Engagement Coordinator. This position reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer and core responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a strategic communications plan.
- Providing proactive communications advice and support to Council, Office of the Mayor and CAO and senior leadership team in response to emergent issues.
- Managing community engagement activities to support broad public input into decision-making and greater understanding of the challenges and opportunities for the Municipality of North Cowichan.
- Liaising with other local governments, community, professional and business associations as needed to support community engagement initiatives and organizational priorities.
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with the local media, key community stakeholders and other local governments, including First Nations.
- Overseeing the effective use and continual growth of digital and web based tools including social media, the Municipal website and intranet.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in Communications, Business Administration or Public Administration and a minimum of five years of progressively responsible communications and engagement experience; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience managing a diverse portfolio of clients.
- Demonstrated track record of effective relationship management and project management.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and exceptional presentation and facilitation skills.
- Training and/or experience with the International Association of Public Participation (IPA2) theory and values.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License; a satisfactory current driver’s abstract will be required.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. August 5, 2019
Website Volunteer and Employment Posting Policy
IAP2 BC accepts both volunteer and employment postings as a value-added service and career enhancement opportunity for IAP2 BC members. Postings may describe positions available or link to a more comprehensive listing, however postings cannot advertise or promote a business or service.
Please send your posting to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will follow up with you as soon as we are able.