Website Metro Vancouver Regional District
Position Title: Communications Officer
Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than March 7, 2025)
Department: External Relations, Community Engagement, Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: PG 21 $2,433.10 – $2,863.75 bi-weekly
Our External Relations Department is seeking a Communications Officer who will be a key member of a tight-knit community engagement team supporting liquid waste projects and initiatives.
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills and are highly organized with superior time management skills. You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts. Preferably, you have related experience and a degree in Communications or a related field.
· Supports the preparation and implementation of engagement and communications strategies for a variety of liquid waste infrastructure construction and policy projects.
· Prepares plain language communications materials for construction projects, including newsletters, signage, fact sheets, letters, door hangers and display panels. Prepares and manages content for a website and Twitter account.
· Liaises between Metro Vancouver construction project teams, the public and member jurisdictions regarding construction projects; serves as public engagement resource to engineering staff in interpreting potential public impacts; provides background information to staff on communities affected by construction; participates with staff in seeking resolutions to more difficult issues.
· Meets with and provides assistance, program and other information to various stakeholders including the public, community groups, associations and consultants.
· Supports the planning, promotion and implementation of engagement events such as open houses, live or virtual public meetings and high-impact stakeholder meetings.
· Answers enquiries and provides information to the public and stakeholders as required.
· Assists and supports Metro Vancouver project managers, supervisors and Program Managers in preparing presentations and executing engagement activities, including engagement tracking and reporting.
· Updates information related to various projects and programs, inputs data, and utilizes audio visual equipment and presentation techniques.
· Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
· Completion of Grade 12 preferably supplemented by university graduation in a field related to the work such as communications, social sciences or completion of courses in communications media and public relations, plus sound related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
· Considerable knowledge of the functions, programs, activities, objectives and procedures of assigned Metro Vancouver departments.
· Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of gathering, analyzing and disseminating program and activity information.
· Sound knowledge of the methods and procedures of planning, organizing and executing displays and promotional events.
· Some knowledge of purposes and roles of related public organizations.
· Ability to organize meetings, events, and displays and to ensure for the development and maintenance of communications between Metro Vancouver officials and departments and related external contacts.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
· Ability to gather, research, analyze, edit, assemble and disseminate a variety of program information related to various Metro Vancouver departments.
· Ability to train subordinate staff and to direct and oversee the work of same on various promotional projects.
· Ability to exercise independent judgement and action with a minimum of direction and to schedule and process a variety of work assignments.
· Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
Please include a cover letter in your application.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, LGBTQ2S+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by May 18, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit www.metrovancouver.org.