Welcome to the west coast chapter of the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) Canada. We are an Association seeking to promote and improve the practice of public participation with individuals, governments, institutions, and other entities that affect the public interest in British Columbia and the Yukon, Canada and around the world. This new website has been developed to support our members and to further the practice of public participation at the local level. Take a few moments to explore the site and see what new resources are available and learn how you can contribute.
IAP2 hosts special webinars on COVID-19 and public participation
The COVID-19 outbreak has created a “new reality” in many sectors, including public participation. Practitioners are wondering how to handle the situation and how to move forward.
IAP2 Canada and IAP2 USA have received numerous questions from members over the past week, and will be presenting a series of webinars.
Adaptive Technologies and P2
Two webinars with different presenters will be held on Tuesday, March 24, in which experts in the field will address some of the following questions:
- What are some ideas or creative methods for continuing engagement without meeting face-to-face?
- What’s “out there” in terms of social media, teleconferencing platforms, digital tools in general? When and how should we use them?
- What are some good experiences and what should we be careful about?
- How do we address inclusion and low barrier access for those with limited tech skills: what technologies require easy installation or none at all, while supporting a variety of participation methods
- Platforms and tools that support effective small group conversations and “break out” rooms, or that can support moving from plenaries to group work
- Platforms that can include visual note-taking or collaboration (in ways that can be recorded for data collection)
- Facilitation tips and tools for effective online conversations
- And more …
Session 1: Tuesday, March 24 at 8:30 am Pacific time (11:30am Eastern)
In the first session — Kim Hyshka of Dialogue Partners, Chrystiane Mallaley and Michael Sauvé of Hill+Knowlton Strategies will respond to those questions, along with others you are able to ask. Register here.
Session 2: Tuesday, March 24, at 11:30am, Pacific time (2:30pm Eastern)
There will be a second session on the same topic, where Susanna Haas Lyons, and Elizabeth Buehler, Civic Engagement Manager with the Salt Lake City Corporation, will provide their experiences with these topics, while encouraging you to ask your questions. Register here.
You are welcome to take either or both sessions. All COVID-19 related webinars will be available at no cost.
Session 3: Adaptive Technologies and P2 – Webinar being held in French
On Wednesday, March 25, at 11am Pacific (2pm Eastern), we are thrilled to be able to present a French version of this webinar! Jacques Bénard and Michael Sauvé of Hill+Knowlton Strategies, and Cédric Bourgeois of Transfert Environnement will be our speakers. Register here.
COVID-19, P2 and Managing With The “New Reality”
Then, on Tuesday, March 31 at 11:00 am Pacific (2pm Eastern), we’ll focus on you and how you are adapting to the sudden changes and what others are doing. We’ll be considering such questions as:
- How are people responding to this?
- What do we do with our projects?
- How do we cope?
- How do we plan in areas like accessibility and inclusion?
- Is any engagement that we are doing now valid?
- What is the problem that we are trying to solve?
- How do we reach the “seldom heard” and individuals with accessibility challenges?
- How can we continue to motivate people to participate in the current context and until what point in the process?
- You are not alone, so join us for this special session. We are currently confirming our speakers for this webinar. Register here.
Resources to help you
IAP2 Canada has created a special web page containing resources of interest to P2 practitioners during this time. We invite you to submit any contributions you might have (see the page for details).
REMEMBER: on Monday, March 23, at 11am Pacific (2pm Eastern) our monthly Learning Webinar features Core Values Award winners from 2019. Find out more details and register here.
This just in from our colleagues in IAP2 Australasia – consider joining their webinar – Keep on Engaging: Tips for Adapting in the Days of COVID-19.
We look forward to you joining us,
All the best,
Didn’t receive a copy? Contact us to update your email address on file.
Interested in joining or renewing your membership? Visit IAP2canada.ca.